Wednesday, April 21, 2010

~IF MuSiC Be tHe FooD of LoVE, PLay oN~

Ting Ting *pause* Ting *pause* *pause* Tiiiing
…. This is how I, a musical amateur, used to play my guitar or gittu a year ago.


It began in a funny note though. I approached my guitar sir, who happens to be the lead guitarist of a very famous Indian rock band. The first thing he wanted to know “Why do you wanna play the gittu?”

Pat came my reply “I just wanna remove the monotony from my boooring life”. An impulsive reply, and he could easily interpret that I did not have a boyfriend at that time. (Lol!) I had known that music could people your solitude at once.

Although the main reason for gittu was not clearly defined. I believed anyone with good vocals, should know (atleast) one instrument properly… so that’s why hello guitar! You can't stay the same. If you're a singer and not a musician, you have to change, that's the way it works.

There was this amazing beauty in this power weapon that used to give me a new life whenever, I plucked its strings E-A-D-G-B-E. My imagination took flight, heart took wings, and brains became an untamed territory, coz I could never play and feel sensible at the same time. At once, I could feel no pain, absolutely. It only had the beauty of loneliness, strength and freedom.

I vouched that day – “Come what may, I will take guitar seriously. Not like the other futile attempts to learn forms of dance.”

**PS: Cometh the first cIass and I quite confidently bunked it, given that I had learnt the basic strings in school :-D !! (Wow, my so-called dedication had just started to take flight :-P )**

Enters guitar sir on the second class – Late twenties, married, down to earth, awesome levels of patience, super cool (Oh wait! Did I say married and STILL super cool?). He was more like a friend than a teacher.

He taught me the three golden rules associated with the powerful weapon:
Rule #1: Always carry a pick with you, so that you can play anytime and anywhere
Rule #2: Always sing along while you play. Only playing (and not singing), can very well make you lose the rhythm and go off-beat.
Rule #3: In case you can’t follow Rule #2, here’s an alternative rule. If you aren’t able to sing while you play, choose a popular song, so that your audience can sing.

Then I learnt the string players' motto: "Better sharp than out of tune."I was told that guitar can even help you get laid! (wtf!)

Enlightened, as I was, got back home that day and put the gittu at one corner of the room. Came the next Sunday, and the gittu still laid untouched and unperturbed.

As soon as I entered the next class, a smart ass cracked a PJ:
“What is the difference between a guitar and a tuna fish?”
A: “You can tune a guitar but you can't guitar a tuna fish.”
Lame joke it was, inspired from the “fly can fly but mosquito can’t mosquito” joke. Huh!
**PS: It’s very rare for a joke of any damn kind to NOT amuse me! But this was a terrible one! And that too, coming from a smart ass!**

As soon as the gittu hit, I forgot almost everything. I could never realize how intimately I was bound to the strings, and how much I missed it after 2nd year in college. Life was back to Rock n Roll~
It took me almost a year to grow from “Ting Ting *pause* Ting *pause* *pause* Tiiiing” to heavy metal.
I am a big fat n proud tuna fish now :D
Without music, life is surely a mistake!

15 comments:

Pallavi said...

so wen are we hearing "smelly cat" :P

Nilanjana said...

hehehe!! I can play phoebe anytime I m drunk! :)

madala boy said...

Ha ha....Lady Gaga is up for a fight I guess....and I so agree with the Guitar helping you get laid part.....

Nilanjana said...

oh yeah!! u're a guitarist of 'barista' fame~~ ur opinion is law fr me! :D

madala boy said...

Barista : Madison Square Garden :: Srinivas Madala : Elvis Presley

Nilanjana said...

ROTFL!!!! :D

Navjeet said...

Good job! wishing u fun with "GITTU".. really liked this blog and also hope to read something about Real Food and ur love for it in future!
Happy Blogging!

Nilanjana said...

Thanks Navjeet :) will keep that in mind :)

Rishabh Singla said...

@madala boy shit man that math was awesome. until i realized that no conclusion can be drawn from the expression :P

@nilanjana mast likha hai. lagta hai didn't know u a bit in grail. i played synthesizer for about 8 years (till 2002), and have been out of touch for last 8 years. ye post padhke feel like going back to it!

Nilanjana said...

@Rishabh: Thenkue :)
8 years!!!!! boi! thats smthin. u can throw a concert nw! :) gotta be there!

bondgal_rulz said...

Oieee!!!! Where did my comment vanish!!!???

Grrrrr!!!!!

Anyway, I'm still wondering as to why in the world would anyone call their guitar gittu, unless it's a 5 year old sardaar kid.

Nice spruced-up look btw. :)

Cheers

bondgal_rulz said...

Ooops!!! You have approval now.

P.S. This need not be approved. :D

Nilanjana said...

lol!! approved both to add to it! :P
and a sardar kid wud have better names in mind. Gittu is totally in :-) adds to the oomph :P

PS: oye, did nt receive any prev comment frm yu!!

Dipankar said...

im kinda new to this site...so just... 'LIKE'!

Nilanjana said...

thanx bro dearest ;p :-)

Arts BlogsBlog Directory
cash advance loans