Saturday, December 4, 2010

It's a GaY-Les thing

After a series of discussions, coverage, campaigns, movies, and Section 377, the topic of homosexuality is being perceived positively by the seemingly new-age thinkers and revolutionists, and a mere “pass-it-off” by the more traditional lots. But the question is, even if it's legal now, have these so-called new-age thinkers truly espoused homosexuals in their society or were the movements nothing more than a social gimmick?



      Well personally, I work in a place where most of the guys are homosexuals (Fashion magazines, when u come to think of it). Let me be upfront and tell you that it came as a shock to me as well. I have always boasted of my open-mindedness but sadly, I found I was merely doing lip-service in my support for homosexuals while in reality I remained steadfast in my aversion towards them. But that conservatism was to survive only till I became good friends with everyone in my office.

      A couple of questions crossed my mind though: How and when do they realize that they are meant to be with the same sex? Is this tendency by birth? Why do we still see people lower their voices while calling out gays or lesbians? Can a heterosexual not feel drawn towards the same sex ever?

      I asked myself if there are girls I have ever admired. The answer was yes I did; sometimes I had thoughts such as “Had I been a guy, I would have firstly asked this female out”. But the reason I couldn’t ever be open was the fear of being perceived as ’wrong’… the same ‘rights’ and ‘wrongs’ which have been defined by the conventions laid down by friends and family.

      Thankfully most of my present-day peers and acquaintances are broad-minded and open to discussion. I raised the same question to them,”Have you ever
been attracted to someone of the same sex?”.
The response was the least expected. Not a single person said No.

      “Sometimes I even tell my boyfriend, look that girl is so hot!” one of them said. “And the good part is he doesn’t raise eyebrows or feel insecure at my passing such a comment. He understands that I am genuinely admiring someone,” she added.

      Once a guy in my friend circle broke the news of his homosexuality, and he was admired for his candor and frankness. Without doubt, gays have much better understanding of female psychology, needs, and moods, than “straight” guys. They even come across as friendlier versions.

      So next time when you spot a gay or lesbian, before drawing funny inferences, just try to recall your past same-sex inclinations. Because chances are that you’ll be tongue-tied and zapped at your own sinful indulgences. :-P

So is it just a GaY-les thing? I say Not.

....
....

14 comments:

lost soul said...

IT IS SURPRISING HOW UNCOMFORTABLE PEOPLE GET EVEN TO TALK ABOUT HOMOSEXUALITY...MY BEST FRIEND IS GAY AND I HAVE SEEN HIM STRUGGLE THROUGH SOCIETY...HIS PARENTS, TEACHERS, CLASSMATES...IT IS HEART-WRENCHING...AND THE WORST PART ABOUT ALL THIS IS THAT I HAD TO KEEP MY FRIENDSHIP WITH HIM A SECRET AS MY PARENTS AND FRIENDS WOULD NOT APPROVE OF IT...AS IF HE WAS SOME KIND OF A TABOO WHO DESERVED EVERYONE'S HATE, SOMEONE WHO SHOULD HAVE BEEN SHUNNED FROM THE MASSES LIKE AN OGRE OR SOMETHING...AND HE ALWAYS KEPT A SMILE ON HIS FACE AS IF MOCKING EVERYBODY QUIETLY...BUT HE WOULD JUST BREAK DOWN IN FRONT OF ME AND JUST WOULD SEEM IN SUCH DESPAIR...AND OBVIOUSLY I COULD NOT HELP HIM IN ANY WAY...AND I WAS JUST LEFT QUESTIONING..."WHY THE HELL DO PEOPLE CARE WHO FUCKS WHOM BEHIND CLOSED DOORS...NO ONE WOULD EVEN TRY TO KNOW HIM...I DID NOT KNOW HE WAS GAY WHEN I MET HIM...AND WHEN I DID FIND OUT, I SURE AS HELL DID NOT HAVE ANY PROBLEM WITH IT...AND BELIEVE ME...HE WAS A BIGGER MAN TAN THOSE NO-GOOD LOSERS WHO GOT THEIR LAUGHS BY TEASING HIS POOR SOULS...
READING YOUR ENTRY JUST BROUGHT THOSE AWFUL MEMORIES...ACTUALLY YOU PROVIDE A VERY DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVE, BUT IS THIS ENOUGH TO MAKE PEOPLE UNDERSTAND THE KIND OF HELL OUR SOCIETY PUTS THE GAYS AND LESBIANS THROUGH...I JUST HOPE OUR COUNTRY WHICH BOASTS OF STRONG FAMILY AND SOCIAL TIES JUST BECOMES MORE TOLERANT AND STOP BANISHING THE ONES WHO ARE DIFFERENT FROM US...

lost soul said...

IT IS SURPRISING HOW UNCOMFORTABLE PEOPLE GET EVEN TO TALK ABOUT HOMOSEXUALITY...MY BEST FRIEND IS GAY AND I HAVE SEEN HIM STRUGGLE THROUGH SOCIETY...HIS PARENTS, TEACHERS, CLASSMATES...IT IS HEART-WRENCHING...AND THE WORST PART ABOUT ALL THIS IS THAT I HAD TO KEEP MY FRIENDSHIP WITH HIM A SECRET AS MY PARENTS AND FRIENDS WOULD NOT APPROVE OF IT...AS IF HE WAS SOME KIND OF A TABOO WHO DESERVED EVERYONE'S HATE, SOMEONE WHO SHOULD HAVE BEEN SHUNNED FROM THE MASSES LIKE AN OGRE OR SOMETHING...AND HE ALWAYS KEPT A SMILE ON HIS FACE AS IF MOCKING EVERYBODY QUIETLY...BUT HE WOULD JUST BREAK DOWN IN FRONT OF ME AND JUST WOULD SEEM IN SUCH DESPAIR...AND OBVIOUSLY I COULD NOT HELP HIM IN ANY WAY...AND I WAS JUST LEFT QUESTIONING..."WHY THE HELL DO PEOPLE CARE WHO FUCKS WHOM BEHIND CLOSED DOORS...NO ONE WOULD EVEN TRY TO KNOW HIM...I DID NOT KNOW HE WAS GAY WHEN I MET HIM...AND WHEN I DID FIND OUT, I SURE AS HELL DID NOT HAVE ANY PROBLEM WITH IT...AND BELIEVE ME...HE WAS A BIGGER MAN TAN THOSE NO-GOOD LOSERS WHO GOT THEIR LAUGHS BY TEASING HIS POOR SOULS...
READING YOUR ENTRY JUST BROUGHT THOSE AWFUL MEMORIES...ACTUALLY YOU PROVIDE A VERY DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVE, BUT IS THIS ENOUGH TO MAKE PEOPLE UNDERSTAND THE KIND OF HELL OUR SOCIETY PUTS THE GAYS AND LESBIANS THROUGH...I JUST HOPE OUR COUNTRY WHICH BOASTS OF STRONG FAMILY AND SOCIAL TIES JUST BECOMES MORE TOLERANT AND STOP BANISHING THE ONES WHO ARE DIFFERENT FROM US...

Unknown said...

Interesting.. n must say totally true. ;)

Nilanjana said...

@AJ: Good to know abt your friend. Trust things will get better. Making it legal doesn't change anything. It's about how people perceive... and how much they are willing to accomodate them as their own.

Nilanjana said...

@Mayo: :-) yeah totally!

satinder rana said...

Glad to see that more and more people are finding themselves to be comfortable while talking about homosexuality or while being around them. Interesting read. Well done out Page 3 reporter :)

Nilanjana said...

@Sunny: Thanks :) but there's more to it - there's some amount of homosexualtiy in each and every person. It's just more dominant in some and less in others.

Ramit Grover said...

Good work. Sharing this pronto. Could you please update your blog roll with the new url of my blog???

Nilanjana said...

Thanks Tbg :) and Done!

bondgal_rulz said...

Hey, I remember how I once had a heated discussion on this with my Consumer Behaviour cum Psychology teacher.

According t Freud,no individual is born hetero or homo sexual...it is time, conditions, society, and mental conditioning etc. that influence his/her sexual behaviour.

And I remember reading somewhere that most people are bisexual anyway. They are just too stuck up to accept it. :D

Nilanjana said...

Hey Isha :) Freud makes sense!
and about the bisexual thingy, i can't agree more !!!

Eponine said...

Interesting read.

Eponine said...

Interesting Read!

Eponine said...

Interesting Read

Arts BlogsBlog Directory
cash advance loans